Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Just a few questions...
Posted by: DLM (IP Logged)
Date: June 30, 2017 08:36PM

I am not really questioning the experience of the private investigator or the protocol of the State K9 Handler, as the handler stated he could not come out at the request of the private investigator. The investigator convinced the local jurisdiction to call the K9 handler back out.

There is value in using K9's on scenes, as opposed to eyeballing where to take a sample or even taking the time to run a sniffer over an entire scene. Sniffers are not near as effective as K9's.

Most of the investigators we work with don't necessarily call us out thinking the fire was set using an ignitable liquid. They call us out to help locate ignitable liquids (content fuels or accelerants) and to help them eliminate their presence throughout the loss site.

I am questioning whether or not a private investigator, working for the insurance company or an attorney, should be using a government resource provided by the tax payers to supplement their investigation at no cost?

I will put it another way... We have a State Lab here in Texas, provided by the tax payers. A lab where public fire investigators send their samples for analysis at no charge. I don't see any private investigators sending their samples to this state lab for analysis because it's free. If they did, I believe the state and the private investigator would be working hand-in-hand. Does anyone think this would be ok? I just see some real issues with this and I see no difference in the two scenarios above.

Darle L. McClintock
Vector Investigative Services
dlmcclintock@vectorinvestigations.com

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Just a few questions... 1544 DLM 06/29/2017 10:36AM
  Re: Just a few questions... 939 G Van Doren 06/29/2017 11:04AM
  Re: Just a few questions... 877 G Van Doren 06/29/2017 11:10AM
  Re: Just a few questions... 899 cda 06/29/2017 12:42PM
  Re: Just a few questions... 913 RDS 06/29/2017 01:39PM
  Re: Just a few questions... 882 Batt201 06/29/2017 06:45PM
  Re: Just a few questions... 887 Batt201 06/29/2017 06:50PM
  Re: Just a few questions... 907 Fire 06/30/2017 06:35PM
  Re: Just a few questions... 945 DLM 06/30/2017 08:36PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.