Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: lightning strikes; direct- vs indirect-
Posted by: Sir Gary (IP Logged)
Date: January 16, 2020 06:23AM

I secured a lightning-strike report courtesy of our local weather service;
the only lighting strikes for miles of this structure (there were plenty others elsewhere in the district that evening)
was about 45 minutes before the security guard first discovered the smoke/fire
(strike coordinates put it within 100 yards of the structure, but they claim no better accuracy than 500 yards at best anyway).

Am I alone in wondering whether a direct strike would have not resulted in a more-rapidly developing fire?
(but then, I've never experienced a lightning strike to that structure first hand...)
Unless it wasn't a direct strike...

No lightning conductor was fitted; in fact very little metal in the thatched roof at all,
other than some chicken wire used under the top concrete capping/flashing
and some electrical wiring run on rafters to inside lighting (pic attached).
Electrical services (to a sub-DB inside, now toast) were supplied by underground cable
from the main building's DB (this circuit breaker found down/Off - can't say by whom),
but security guard confirmed outside security lights were still on upon his first response.

Any wild theories as to the delay in fire development welcome, including Devil's advocate's confused smiley

Attachments: inside.jpg (477.6kB)  

Subject Views Written By Posted
  lightning strikes; direct- vs indirect- 1087 Sir Gary 01/16/2020 06:09AM
  Re: lightning strikes; direct- vs indirect- 729 Sir Gary 01/16/2020 06:23AM
  Re: lightning strikes; direct- vs indirect- 670 Fire 01/16/2020 08:54AM
  Re: lightning strikes; direct- vs indirect- 696 Sir Gary 01/17/2020 01:00AM
  Re: lightning strikes; direct- vs indirect- 722 John Lentini 01/16/2020 12:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.