Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Human behavior in fires, & accelerated vs -unaccelerated fires
Posted by: Sir Gary (IP Logged)
Date: April 15, 2020 11:30AM

I'm been drawn in to a decade-old domestic fire with 5 fatalities
(against my better judgement; the other side's attorney put Oscar Pistorius away).

Their FI (also appointed many years after the fact) claims Suspicious fire (police FI at the time said Accidental-, bedding onto an electric bar heater),
based on two main attacks :

The 5 deceased (mother and 4 children, hubby was rescued by neighbours whom cut through the burglar proofing) were found scattered in the livingroom lying supine;
FI (a retired fireman) claims in all his many years of fire fighting,
he would have expected to find mummy trying to protect her offspring.

Mom & dad were allegedly woken by their children screaming;
rushing through to the kid's bedroom they found the bed partially alight;
Mum trying to flee the house with the kids (the house was burglar-proofed all round)
whilst Pop tried to put the fire out with water, until driven back by smoke & heat.
FI claims that a fire (bed/bedding) lit my the bar heater would take 15 minutes to go to flashover,
whilst the witness account (hubby, sole survivor) describes it as mere minutes; i.e. must be an accelerated fire.

Now I, a mere chemist/physicist for one am unwilling to testify as to human behavior in fires,
other than to say that to wake from dead sleep into a now-darkened smoke-filled house
where you inadvertently perhaps get a lungful of acrid hot (perhaps toxic) smoke,
doesn't bode well for a measured, logical response...
Any data/case studies on this would be much appreciated.

As for the fire's development, I have seen some NIST/NFPA-comparative tests
of identical livingroom setups where the unaccelerated fire lags the accelerated fire by perhaps a minute;
anyone have such videos using beds & bedding? (or recent better-definition videos)
A picture paints a thousand words...

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Human behavior in fires, & accelerated vs -unaccelerated fires 881 Sir Gary 04/15/2020 11:30AM
  Re: Human behavior in fires, & accelerated vs -unaccelerated fires 532 cda 04/15/2020 02:56PM
  Re: Human behavior in fires, & accelerated vs -unaccelerated fires 592 cda 04/15/2020 02:59PM
  Re: Human behavior in fires, & accelerated vs -unaccelerated fires 590 Sir Gary 04/16/2020 06:16AM
  Re: Human behavior in fires, & accelerated vs -unaccelerated fires 494 Sir Gary 04/24/2020 10:03AM
  Re: Human behavior in fires, & accelerated vs -unaccelerated fires 479 Sir Gary 04/24/2020 10:32AM
  Re: Human behavior in fires, & accelerated vs -unaccelerated fires 491 dcarpenter 04/24/2020 02:11PM
  Re: Human behavior in fires, & accelerated vs -unaccelerated fires 520 Sir Gary 04/27/2020 07:19AM
  Re: Human behavior in fires, & accelerated vs -unaccelerated fires 523 Fire 04/28/2020 08:27PM
  Re: Human behavior in fires, & accelerated vs -unaccelerated fires 503 dcarpenter 04/29/2020 08:53AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.