Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Scientific Method
Posted by: J L Mazerat (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2020 03:22PM

I may have, and I am sorry. What I was thinking about to the methodology of problem solving. Her we refer to it as the scientific method. If one takes time to think about it, all decision making uses this basic methodology. We explaining this to a jury, I often use the problem of crossing a street where there is traffic. Before the explanation, most of those on the jury had no idea as to what the scientific method is and how it is used. If you would have asked them to explain this method, I would say most would have just sat there looking at you. Because they cannot explain it, does this mean they do not properly apply it when solving a problem? It is from this that I believe a person can investigate a fire and come up with an accurate determination without having an understanding of the scientific method found in 921 or being able to say all the steps were followed.

As to the courts understanding, I have seen some problems with how they apply the methodology they believe is needed. I a recent firearms case, the question was as to the marking on the casing cause by the ejection after being fired. In that case, the judge found that there was insufficient research to support the methodology being used to match a specific firearm with a shell casing. The court instructed the expert that the expert could not say that the casing matched the specific weapon but could testify that the expert could not eliminate that weapon as being the one that ejected that casing.

Are we at a point that we need to say it cannot be proven that this did not cause the fire over saying that this is what caused the fire?

Jim Mazerat
Forensic Investigations Group

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Scientific Method 736 J L Mazerat 08/23/2020 10:54AM
  Re: Scientific Method 441 cda 08/23/2020 11:59AM
  Re: Scientific Method 418 Sir Gary 08/24/2020 02:46AM
  Re: Scientific Method 418 cda 08/24/2020 07:20AM
  Re: Scientific Method 425 dcarpenter 08/24/2020 10:15AM
  Re: Scientific Method 434 J L Mazerat 08/24/2020 11:25AM
  Re: Scientific Method 447 dcarpenter 08/24/2020 12:51PM
  Re: Scientific Method 419 J L Mazerat 08/24/2020 03:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.