Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
LMU Law Review: Two articles on Fire Investigation
Posted by: John Lentini (IP Logged)
Date: August 28, 2020 01:06PM

The Fall 2020 edition of the Lincoln Memorial University Law Review contains two articles that may be of interest to fire investigators and fire litigators.

The first is my article, “A Model for Confronting Fire Investigation Errors.” It describes my general approach to fire investigation reviews and provides a roadmap for litigators to challenge fire investigation opinions. The article describes four cases, two cases of alleged arson and two subrogation cases alleging product defects. The article is located here:

[lmulawreview.scholasticahq.com]

I am giving away my playbook. This approach has been very effective over the last decade and it is my hope that its publication will lead to it becoming less effective in the future. You read that correctly. Forewarned is forearmed. If fire investigators know what kind of challenges to expect, those who apply themselves can learn to overcome these challenges. I hope that the knowledge obtained in getting ready for a challenge will help investigators to conduct more reliable investigations.

The second article, by Thomas May and David Icove, deals with arc mapping and Daubert challenges to its admission. The article, entitled “Arc Mapping Methodologies and the Pursuit of Magical Globules, Notches and Beads: A Bridge Too Far to Establish Fire Origin?”, argues that perhaps a metallurgist is required to identify an arc bead (a proposition that I’m not comfortable with), and that the technique is subject to numerous objections in a broad based Daubert challenge. The article may be found here:

[lmulawreview.scholasticahq.com]

John J. Lentini, CFI
Scientific Fire Analysis
Islamorada, FL
www.firescientist.com
scientific.fire@yahoo.com

Subject Views Written By Posted
  LMU Law Review: Two articles on Fire Investigation 1012 John Lentini 08/28/2020 01:06PM
  Re: LMU Law Review: Two articles on Fire Investigation 490 Sir Gary 08/29/2020 06:34AM
  Re: LMU Law Review: Two articles on Fire Investigation 511 cda 08/29/2020 11:57AM
  Re: LMU Law Review: Two articles on Fire Investigation 516 John Lentini 08/29/2020 01:42PM
  Re: LMU Law Review: Two articles on Fire Investigation 507 cda 08/29/2020 05:35PM
  Re: LMU Law Review: Two articles on Fire Investigation 455 Fire 09/09/2020 06:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.