Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: How long to save case files?
Posted by: Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant (IP Logged)
Date: March 22, 2021 10:54AM

Ted:

Many states require you to maintain your files for a period of time (Oregon is 7-years) under the PI license law. Check your state licensure requirements.

This has come up in many depositions of mine over the years. I respond that I keep mine 7 calendar years [ORS 703.450(12)] and then, I destroy the hard files per state law [703.450(17)] to maintain space for newer incoming files. This is true even if the case has been adjudicated and over years prior. This is my SOP and it has not been an issue in any case in any jurisdiction so far.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2021 10:56AM by Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  How long to save case files? 760 Ted Pagels 03/20/2021 11:40AM
  Re: How long to save case files? 479 cda 03/21/2021 03:20PM
  Re: How long to save case files? 514 Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant 03/22/2021 10:54AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.