AutoFires :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A moderated place where those interested in vehicle fires can contribute with probative and informative discussions. Information posted shall be directly associated with the various aspects of the field. 
Police Vehicle Fires
Posted by: tmcgrath (IP Logged)
Date: April 02, 2007 04:12PM

Can anyone provide any information regarding fires originating in the trunk of patrol vehicles that could have been started by flares.

I have one in my city that I have ruled everything out and the only thing that I am left with is flares.

The fire was localized to the center of the trunk of a 2006 Crown Vic with about 40k miles. No electrical or mechanical problems or complaints prior to the fire. The officer was driving down the road and noticed white smoke coming from the trunk. No indication of electrical problems or overloads.

Typically flares are kept loose in a large plastic trunk organizer. When I looked at other vehicles in the fleet you can easily find flares without the protective caps on them. The administration has a hard time believing that it could happen this way and basically use the argument that they have never had it happen to them before.

Thanks in advance.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Police Vehicle Fires 2404 tmcgrath 04/02/2007 04:12PM
  Re: Police Vehicle Fires 1310 John N. Glenn 05/09/2007 02:48PM
  Re: Police Vehicle Fires 1270 MDE Inc. 06/14/2007 05:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.