Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Candle burn times.....
Posted by: Ted Pagels (IP Logged)
Date: January 04, 2007 04:10PM

Hello,

I have a fire loss in a 10 x 13 bedroom. Family (all of them) left noon 12/26, returned noon 12/29 after fire department notified them of the fire at 8 AM. No one else would have had access to home.

Fire damage "minor" to wood (knotty pine) desktop, located against a wall, centered under a window, in 18 yr old son's bedroom which had the door closed. Drywall and windowsill heavily damaged (central) along with vinyl window frame, window glass and vinyl blinds. Remains of two candles on desk top, along with a laptop, Ipod, house phone in charger base, All cords in undamaged condition from desktop rear down to power strip on floor. Laptop not plugged in, power cord in another room, battery intact no damage on that (front) side of laptop, full damage to phone, can only recognize Ipod screen in debris next to where one candle was. Smaller candle (votive size) in a decorative metal candle bowl may have been on window sill 6 inches above desk top, and other candle (wax remains only) 3" dia x 6" tall was located between rear of laptop, and Ipod, phone locations. Metal mesh pen/pencil holder ("jammed full") on desk top between large candle and Ipod. Only metal pen/pencil remains in this holder. Desktop has deepest char at this point. Large candle was supposedly on glass tray but no definitive remains of this found in remains that included window glass remains. Thin wax puddles on desk top, outside of char area, down desk sides, on floor, wall. No heat register under window / desk. Electrical outlet pristine condition.

Researching portable phone recalls. Insurance company directive to preserve artifacts only as loss too low (possibly under $15K) for subro recovery attempts at this time. Currently can't rule out Ipod, portable phone/charger failures, and candle(s) left burning.

18 year old states candles not used day they left. Could the votive or the large candle have burned that long (2.5 days)? I have my doubts........but remain open minded at my age. Anyone have any experiences with these size candles or tested burn times? Ipod's? Will share origin area photo through direct e-mail. Thanks!

Ted J. Pagels
FIREPROSe, LLC
firepros@aol.com

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Candle burn times..... 1682 Ted Pagels 01/04/2007 04:10PM
  Re: Candle burn times..... 1007 Gerald Hurst 01/04/2007 07:00PM
  Re: Candle burn times..... 1026 MIKE 01/04/2007 09:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.