Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Plain Language
Posted by: dcarpenter (IP Logged)
Date: February 02, 2007 04:31PM

Again, it depends on the context of the challenge.

I read your sugestion as the ability for a judge to use a check list to determine if the correct methodology was employed in a reliable manner. One may follow the sceintific method with respect to the steps, but still come to an unreliable conclusion. Thus, it is not just a determination of whether the necessary steps were followed. I can say I tested my hypothesis against data, but I have seen investigations where not all of the available data was used to test the hypohtesis and had this person done so, it would have changed the determination. A judge could take the position that the investigator did follow the scientific method because he tested his hypohtesis ("check"), but not look further to see if he correctly applied the SM in that specific case to reach reliable conclusions. This siutation can play out because of ignorance on the part of the investigator and lawyer, as well as the judge.

By the way, what was the context of the challenge i nthe case you described?

Douglas J. Carpenter, MScFPE, CFEI, PE, FSFPE
Vice President & Principal Engineer
Combustion Science & Engineering, Inc.
8940 Old Annapolis Road, Suite L
Columbia, MD 21045
(410) 884-3266
(410) 884-3267 (fax)
www.csefire.com

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Plain Language 1523 Jim Mazerat 02/02/2007 10:14AM
  Re: Plain Language 899 MIKE 02/02/2007 11:14AM
  Re: Plain Language 901 dcarpenter 02/02/2007 11:36AM
  Re: Plain Language 949 Jim Mazerat 02/02/2007 02:44PM
  Re: Plain Language 946 dcarpenter 02/02/2007 04:31PM
  Re: Plain Language 909 Jim Mazerat 02/02/2007 05:19PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.