Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Intresting situation with phone lines last night
Posted by: Nick Markowitz (IP Logged)
Date: March 03, 2007 09:29AM

One of my customers calls me about 7pm last night no phone lines in his restarant I go and check them and no dial tone there service is provided via T1 line and a channel bank. Call the carrier no answer perpetual hold.
go to internet no response on tech line.We have a mahor switch issue effecting 4 counties Its "Houstin we have a problem "I soon realise all my customers who use this carrier are with out phone service and there alarms will not call in if activated. call local 911 and PEMA to warn of potential problem find out one of the smaller dispatch centers in Allegheny county is out also because of this carrier.
Carrier never notifys media or any one else they have a network outage to potentially warn customers they need to take precautions for high risk buisness.
Had there been instances where fire alarms activated do to an actual fire and no communication was recieved if an investigator did not know that the buisness may have had no phone service the fire might have been concidered to have severed the phone lines before call could get out when in reality the phone lines where not working. and because no one except for a few independant phone vendors and certain emergency management personel knew about the outage.
An investigation would be potentially flawed . With litigation being pointed in the wrong direction.
does any one know if there are mandatory reorting requirements from tellecommunication companys when they experince major outages to state PUC or FCC and thhen could an investigator query that database to see if there were any network reported outages.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Intresting situation with phone lines last night 1509 Nick Markowitz 03/03/2007 09:29AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.