Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Steel Vs Plastic Electrical Boxes
Posted by: Nick Markowitz (IP Logged)
Date: April 01, 2007 09:23AM

Im from the old school I do not like using Plastic boxes for 120/230 volt residential and light commercail wiring.

With all the burn outs lately I have been encountering where Receptacles using push in terminals have burned loose I have found several were the plastic boxes have been badly scorched and although UL says plastic boxes are rated to withstand a certain amount of heat etc. I wonder if during a catastrophic short circuit if these boxes can realy withstand the short circuit / over load etc and keep embers etc from dropping and causing a fire like steel does.

Has any group done a real time study on these boxes to make sure they still will perform as designed in these older homes now going on 20+ years since these boxes were first allowed.

One thing I have noticed is the new plastic boxes have changed as far as plastic content being used.
and the older boxes seem to be much more fralable than when first installed.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Steel Vs Plastic Electrical Boxes 1477 Nick Markowitz 04/01/2007 09:23AM
  Re: Steel Vs Plastic Electrical Boxes 948 Anthony Tester 04/01/2007 12:39PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.