Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Undertermined vs. accidential or deliberate
Posted by: dahebert (IP Logged)
Date: April 06, 2007 09:57AM

You can, but what you are really saying is UNDETERMINED. If you don't know, it is not a failure. I often write something to the effect of :

blah, blah, this fire was started with human involvement, however, at this time intent cannot be determined. Until evidence of intent is developed this fire is classified as UNDETERMINED.

From a law enforcement perspective I can still investigate an undetermined fire. Of course, from a private sector perspective you may very well be able to call the fire because of a much different standard of proof. I will not try to explain it since I am not typing from that perspective and it is not my place...

This is my opinion, but I've been wrong before. (as Pat often points out)

Dan Hebert

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Undertermined vs. accidential or deliberate 1564 Russaus 04/06/2007 12:02AM
  Re: Undertermined vs. accidential or deliberate 1038 dahebert 04/06/2007 09:57AM
  Re: Undertermined vs. accidential or deliberate 1066 MIJ 04/07/2007 10:24AM
  Re: Undertermined vs. accidential or deliberate 1004 rjschaal 04/07/2007 11:07PM
  Re: Undertermined vs. accidential or deliberate 1026 dahebert 04/08/2007 09:44AM
  Re: Undertermined vs. accidential or deliberate 992 MIJ 04/08/2007 11:21AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.