Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Sifting the Ashes, Summer 2022 issue
Posted by: John Lentini (IP Logged)
Date: June 24, 2022 01:19PM

The Summer 2022 issue of “Sifting the Ashes” is now live at [app.box.com]

This link also provides access to 25 earlier issues.

It's been a while since I posted a new issue. I really wanted to wait until I could tell Claude Garrett’s story. The prosecutor moved to vacate his conviction last November. Who knew it would take so long for him to be freed?

This issue also describes two other cases, a botched civil investigation based on negative corpus, and the long saga of Greg Brown who pleaded guilty earlier this month to the Bricelyn Street fire in Pittsburgh from 1995 but maintained his innocence through an Alford plea.

Also, there is a deep dive into a new "clarification" of Rule 702 on expert witness testimony. Not only do your methods have to be reliable, your opinion has to be reliable as well. The Committee’s recommendations still need to be approved, but according to the Committee Note, the changes suggested are really just a more explicit interpretation of the current rule.

As always, comments are welcome.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Sifting the Ashes, Summer 2022 issue 405 John Lentini 06/24/2022 01:19PM
  Re: Sifting the Ashes, Summer 2022 issue 223 Fire 06/26/2022 02:28PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.