Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Good Of Order: Isopropyl Alcohol Fires - Transient Fires
Posted by: Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant (IP Logged)
Date: December 05, 2023 05:43PM

REPOST FROM LOCAL JURISDICTION EMAIL:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good afternoon Colleagues,

Please review the email below from DFM {name removed} with {Agency name removed} concerning the rise in use of Alcohol based heating devices. He agreed to my sharing it with the group. If the link he included doesn't work, it was

[flikrfire.com]

From {name removed}:

We recently had a fire on the greenway at a transient campsite. During the investigation I was made aware that campers are now using alcohol fires in their tents to stay warm. The transient/camper I was speaking with was quite surprised when I told her I had never heard of one. According to her they will take a sock and soak it in rubbing Alcohol or hand sanitizer and put it in a can and then light it on fire. There is no smell or soot and can warm up the tent. I just wanted to give a heads up as this may have an increase in the number of fires we see and increase the number of injuries to humans and animals in the tents where these items are used. This is an ignition source we may not have considered before.

Unfortunately, this is not only in greenway tents. please see the web page provided.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Chris

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Good Of Order: Isopropyl Alcohol Fires - Transient Fires 285 Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant 12/05/2023 05:43PM
  Re: Good Of Order: Isopropyl Alcohol Fires - Transient Fires 147 Sir Gary 01/17/2024 02:22AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.