Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: St. Elmo's Fire
Posted by: Nick Markowitz (IP Logged)
Date: October 14, 2006 10:04AM

Working in the electrcal field I have seen the effects of corona discharge many times It is absolutely amazing how high voltage can break down materials and travel across insulators etc when dirt and grease etc builds up on them.
I maintain a 5000 watt AM radio station and have seen what damage 20,000 volts does in a transmitter when equiptment fails
I have seen utility company engineers use a new system i beilive is called Infrasound/ultrasound? that they can visualy Check to see if coronas are building up on transmission lines which can greatly reduce down time but needless to say this test equiptment is very expensive.
They are now looking at all cable splicers who work on medium and high voltage
cabling to become certifed possibly nationally as a way of reducing accidents and injurys from corona effect when wiring splicing on medium and high voltage cabling is not properly done.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  High Voltage Tranmission Lines and Corona Effect 1549 Jimmy Collier 10/10/2006 07:12PM
  St. Elmo's Fire 928 Jimmy Collier 10/12/2006 09:32PM
  Re: St. Elmo's Fire 859 Nick Markowitz 10/14/2006 10:04AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.