AutoFires :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A moderated place where those interested in vehicle fires can contribute with probative and informative discussions. Information posted shall be directly associated with the various aspects of the field. 
Re: Fuel Lines vs. worm-drive hose clamps
Posted by: Scott Melville (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2012 12:50AM

The problem with worm drive clamps is not with the clamp, it is that they can be over-tightened and then they cut through the rubber line. This used to be a common problem when in-line fuel filters were used on the rubber line between the fuel pump and the carburetor. The fuel filter would get changed every time a tune-up was done and the clamp would get tightened and cut deeper into the rubber line eventually causing a failure/leak.

The clamp manufacturer's provide tightening specs for their clamps but they are not commonly referred to.

Let me know if you need additional information and I will see if I can find anything in my old trade school books.

Scott D. Melville
IAAI-CFI®, IAAI-ECT, CFEI, CVFI, CCFI-C
Victoria, British Columbia
www.triplesevensfire.com

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Fuel Lines vs. worm-drive hose clamps 1927 firecop 06/16/2012 11:54AM
  Re: Fuel Lines vs. worm-drive hose clamps 1117 Scott Melville 06/17/2012 12:50AM
  Re: Fuel Lines vs. worm-drive hose clamps 1131 Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant 06/18/2012 11:39AM
  Re: Fuel Lines vs. worm-drive hose clamps 1082 Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant 06/18/2012 01:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.