Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Number of FI in US?
Posted by: Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2007 03:21AM

At last rough check Ron, I believe the combined IAAI NAFI numbers put the total at about 12000. It is going to be very hard to catergorize the true number of FI because under 41/50 states with PI laws, ANY PI can legally conduct FI's. While many PIs don't, you would be amazed to find out just how many non-certified non-formally trained PIs are doing the work as Fire Investigators for arson/arson defense cases. Also, you would have to then add in a percentage number of engineers in each state also because they are conduct "investigations" under their license.

I hope I didn't ruin your day, but like I said before, the PI licensure issues vary state to state in their applicability, but most states have the following definition in their PI Law Statutes:

“(2) “Investigator” means a person who is a licensed investigator under (State Statute Citation) and who engages in the business of obtaining or furnishing, or who solicits or accepts employment to obtain or furnish, information about:
(a) Crimes or wrongs done or threatened against the United States or any state or territory of the United States;
(b) The identity, habits, conduct, business, occupation, honesty, integrity, credibility, knowledge, trustworthiness, efficiency, loyalty, activities, movements, whereabouts, affiliations, associations, transactions, acts, reputation or character of any person;
(c) The location, disposition or recovery of lost or stolen property;
(d) The cause of or responsibility for fires, libels, losses, accidents, damages or injuries to persons or property; or
(e) Evidence to be used before any court, board, officer, referee, arbitrator or investigation committee.”

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Number of FI in US? 1658 Ron Hopkins 01/10/2007 12:00PM
  Re: Number of FI in US? 981 Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant 01/11/2007 03:21AM
  Re: Number of FI in US? 925 cda 01/11/2007 11:12AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.