Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Is there a central library within the ATF?
Posted by: John J. Lentini, CFEI (IP Logged)
Date: January 24, 2007 09:14AM

There is a fine library at the Ammendale, MD facility. My suspicion is that there is no LIBRARIAN to facilitate access to the information. Such a person would obviously need other duties to fill in those down times when nobody is requesting information.

One of the best libraries that I know is at NFPA HQ. They not only have many of the sources I am seeking, but their STAFF is first rate. There are several people who, based on a simple phoine request from a member, will look up articles and send them to you, via FAX if requested, and usually the same day. There is a small fee for copying, but if the article is only a few pages, the fee is often waived. The librarians at NFPA actually want to help you find what you are looking for.

Another "library" is available at Vyto Babrauskas' lab in Issaquah, WA. Vyto owns a copy of every reference article in the Ignition Handbook. Obviously, he cannot make books available, but (for a fee), he will have his secretary dig out and copy journal articles. This is particularly useful fgor the more obscure or out-of-print references.

John Lentini, CFI, D-ABC
Fire Investigation Consultant
Florida Keys
[www.firescientist.com]

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Is there a central library within the ATF? 1594 PMK140 01/24/2007 05:14AM
  Re: Is there a central library within the ATF? 910 cda 01/24/2007 08:51AM
  Re: Is there a central library within the ATF? 973 John J. Lentini, CFEI 01/24/2007 09:14AM
  Re: Is there a central library within the ATF? 953 dcarpenter 01/24/2007 09:37AM
  NFA library info 916 jgmcfps 01/24/2007 10:50AM
  Re: Is there a central library within the ATF? 896 dcarpenter 01/24/2007 02:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.