Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Spontaneous Human Combustion
Posted by: GW Roberts (IP Logged)
Date: July 10, 2006 01:46PM

Good argument Pat!

I am not trying to suggest that SHC actually exists but should we actually "deny where we came from?" This is a valid area of research. Not the actual act itself, but the reporting and documenting of. This trade is no different from any other trade in that we have grown with better education and technology. Look at Bertillon and his uses of anthropology in the criminal justice system. He suggsted that if you had a big nose, you were likely to be a pickpocket etc. Yes, now its "claptrap" but it is still discussed and researched in the forensic science world. Its from discussing this "claptrap" that further areas of research comes to light. Personally, I am seeking information on documented cases of SHC. I accept that these would probably prove to be false but its not just that finding of SHC I am interested in but all the things that go with it ie what made the FI suggest this as a finding in the first place, did the FI have any access to previously published cases of SHC, did this sway his findings, did the media play a part, was there religious, financial or political reasoning behind the findings that hindsight/research could disprove?

Is research such a bad thing? My paper is only a small part of a larger research programme involving fire investigation training in the 21st century and as such I think that good research into any subject is never wasted. When I teach young students I want them to know about this "claptrap" as you put it. I want them to become involved in a trade that is not frightened to discuss mistakes made in the past. From this we can all grow.

Oh, and laying on hands?........my wife's pretty good at it!

Regards.

Gareth

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Spontaneous Human Comsution 1990 GW Roberts 07/09/2006 11:46AM
  Re: Spontaneous Human Comsution 1297 PMK140 07/09/2006 02:02PM
  Re: Spontaneous Human Combustion 1416 GW Roberts 07/10/2006 12:44PM
  Re: Spontaneous Human Combustion 1133 PMK140 07/10/2006 01:21PM
  Re: Spontaneous Human Combustion 1149 GW Roberts 07/10/2006 01:46PM
  Re: Spontaneous Human Combustion 1076 PMK140 07/10/2006 03:21PM
  Spontaneous Human Combustion is Where the $ Are! 1265 Tim Leier, P.Eng. 07/10/2006 01:48PM
  Re: Spontaneous Human Combustion is Where the $ Are! 1149 GW Roberts 07/10/2006 02:25PM
  Re: Spontaneous Human Combustion is Where the $ Are! 1122 dahebert 07/10/2006 04:12PM
  Re: Spontaneous Human Combustion 1015 GW Roberts 08/15/2006 10:48AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.