Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Big Box hardware gives bad electrical advice
Posted by: Nick Markowitz (IP Logged)
Date: March 29, 2007 10:05PM

One of my customers is doing a kitchen remodel and thought he could do it him self instead of bothering me but after he started his wife insisted I come and check everything before the dry wall went up. Good thing i did.
The so called Electrical expert at one of the big box home centers sold him copper wire and wirenuts to hook to his alunimum wire going to his range and sold him 14# wire instead of 12# romex which nec requires. even after my customer told this employee exactly what he was doing
I have put the store manager and the big box hardware store on notice of this employess reckless disregard for not following codes and dispencing bad advice.
if the employee does not know the answer should be consult and electricain or inspector.
I now have to wonder how many other diy customers he gave this same bad info to
and now we have another time bomb ticking. Needless to say ahj and investigators in my area have been made aware of this situation and now to look for this problem when they investigate residential fires that originate in a kitchen.
With the expert electrical advice this guy is giving we will never run out of work.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Big Box hardware gives bad electrical advice 1562 Nick Markowitz 03/29/2007 10:05PM
  Re: Big Box hardware gives bad electrical advice 920 cda 03/30/2007 08:20AM
  Re: Big Box hardware gives bad electrical advice 895 Nick Markowitz 03/30/2007 08:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.