Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Myth or Fact
Posted by: J L Mazerat (IP Logged)
Date: October 26, 2018 10:43AM

What the manufacturer of the glass bulb said is that the amount of air is the determining factor as to what temperature the bulb will activate. The larger the air bubble the higher the temperature needed for activation. I could not get from them the amount of air they use. What the manufacturer of the glass bulb was trying to say is that the bulb is designed the where the liquid in the bulb expands due to heating the expansion is absorbed by the compression of the air bubble. Once the air bubble is completely compressed all the force from the expansion is then transferred to the glass. If there is any damage to the glass, such as a scratch, then the glass will fail at a lesser pressure. Both TYCO and Viking said this is why the sprinkler head packaging changed in the mid 90’s. According to them they were having a large number of premature activations. They found the bulbs were being scratched during shipping, handling and cleaning after instillation. Now each head must be separated during shipping. Each head must have a plastic protective covering over the glass bulb until the time it is installed and placed in service. Also, that had information added to the code that the only accepted cleaning method was the used of compressed air or a vacuum. If the head is touched it must be replaced.

What the manufacturer of the glass bulb said is that the amount of air is the determining factor as to what temperature the bulb will activate. The larger the air bubble the higher the temperature needed for activation. I could not get from them the amount of air they use.

The study was conducted by Exponent and Viking Sprinkler Company. The information I have on their study is, Delayed Fracture of Glass Bulbs Used in Fire Sprinklers, Roland Huet, Scott Martorano, Nicoli Ames, Fire Technology, Volume 53, Pages 629-647, 2017. What was interesting from a general point of view is that they took the time to locate stress point on the bulb to where they believed the failure due to the expansion of the liquid would take place.

I agree with you about the first test of the hypothesis is to determine if a scratch or a cleaning compound with effect the operation of the glass bulb. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any specific testing or study relating to this exact issue. I was hoping by posting on the form that’s some one would have some knowledge of a study.

Jim Mazerat
Forensic Investigations Group

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Myth or Fact 1461 J L Mazerat 10/11/2018 06:50PM
  Re: Myth or Fact 749 cda 10/11/2018 08:53PM
  Re: Myth or Fact 726 George Kawkabany 10/13/2018 05:33AM
  Re: Myth or Fact 791 dcarpenter 10/13/2018 07:58AM
  Re: Myth or Fact 738 mageeelect 10/16/2018 10:08PM
  Re: Myth or Fact 696 J L Mazerat 10/19/2018 09:40AM
  Re: Myth or Fact 673 dcarpenter 10/20/2018 08:57AM
  Re: Myth or Fact 654 Mark Goodson 10/20/2018 10:30AM
  Re: Myth or Fact 642 markspoo 10/23/2018 07:48AM
  Re: Myth or Fact 653 J L Mazerat 10/24/2018 08:49PM
  Re: Myth or Fact 601 dcarpenter 10/25/2018 08:34PM
  Re: Myth or Fact 673 J L Mazerat 10/26/2018 10:43AM
  Re: Myth or Fact 609 dcarpenter 10/29/2018 12:43PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.