Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Essential Business?
Posted by: Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant (IP Logged)
Date: April 08, 2020 01:09AM

Steve:

As I said below, Many of the bigger firms I have been told have received internal opinions from inhouse counsels that the field of fire investigation is "essential". However, I was also told by these firms that they have not received a formal opinion from their state confirming this.

The issue comes into play that it appears that "INSURANCE" is an essential business in every state. However, by law, investigative firms are either licensed as Engineers or Private Investigators (as you know) and they are NOT classified as Essential in any order I have seen from any state. Penalties for Violating the Governors orders of the state you are in depends upon the state and their enforcement criteria. If an inspection is going to go forward in violation of the Governor's Order, my client and I protect our a$$es by requiring a written copy of the opinion from the attorney giving the legal advice. If no written copy is provided, then the case is required to be postponed under the governor's Stay at Home Order that was issued.

On a positive note, it appears that in many places the curve is flattening out. I hope Virginia's governor was wrong when he issued his Stay at Home Order..It lasts until June 10th.

[www.governor.virginia.gov]

"For Immediate Release: March 30, 2020
Contacts: Office of the Governor: Alena Yarmosky, Alena.Yarmosky@governor.virginia.gov
Governor Northam Issues Statewide Stay at Home Order
RICHMOND—Governor Ralph Northam today issued a statewide Stay at Home order to protect the health and safety of Virginians and mitigate the spread of the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19. The executive order takes effect immediately and will remain in place until June 10, 2020, unless amended or rescinded by a further executive order.

The order directs all Virginians to stay home except in extremely limited circumstances. Individuals may leave their residence for allowable travel, including to seek medical attention, work, care for family or household members, obtain goods and services like groceries, prescriptions, and others as outlined in Executive Order Fifty-Three, and engage in outdoor activity with strict social distancing requirements.

The executive order also directs all Virginia institutions of higher education to stop in-person classes and instruction. Private campgrounds must close for short-term stays, and beaches will be closed statewide except for fishing and exercise.

“We are in a public health crisis, and we need everyone to take this seriously and act responsibly,” said Governor Northam. “Our message to Virginians is clear: stay home. We know this virus spreads primarily through human-to-human contact, and that’s why it’s so important that people follow this order and practice social distancing. I’m deeply grateful to everyone for their cooperation during this unprecedented and difficult time.”

The full text of Executive Order Fifty-Five can be found here. View the Spanish version here.

Last week, Governor Northam issued Executive Order Fifty-Three closing certain non-essential businesses, prohibiting public gatherings of more than 10 people, and directing all K-12 schools to remain closed for the rest of the academic year. A Frequently Asked Questions guide about Executive Order Fifty-Three can be found here.

For the latest information about the COVID-19 outbreak, visit virginia.gov/coronavirus or CDC.gov/coronavirus."

Chris

Just a courteous heads-up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 01:10AM by Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Essential Business? 1005 SCarman 04/03/2020 10:04AM
  Re: Essential Business? 595 rwkovarsky 04/03/2020 11:02AM
  Re: Essential Business? 582 cda 04/03/2020 01:41PM
  Re: Essential Business? 574 Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant 04/03/2020 02:16PM
  Re: Essential Business? 593 Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant 04/03/2020 02:17PM
  Re: Essential Business? 580 SCarman 04/03/2020 04:10PM
  Re: Essential Business? 595 Rsuninv 04/03/2020 07:07PM
  Re: Essential Business? 588 J L Mazerat 04/04/2020 09:47AM
  Re: Essential Business? 545 Rsuninv 04/04/2020 08:26PM
  Re: Essential Business? 525 Sir Gary 04/07/2020 04:02AM
  Re: Essential Business? 542 Sir Gary 04/07/2020 04:06AM
  Re: Essential Business? 527 Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant 04/07/2020 05:25PM
  Re: Essential Business? -- Watch out---OSHA is watching 602 Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant 04/06/2020 12:26AM
  Re: Essential Business? -- Watch out---OSHA is watching 550 Rsuninv 04/06/2020 09:14AM
  Re: Essential Business? 578 Chris Bloom, CJBFireConsultant 04/08/2020 01:09AM
  Re: Essential Business? 559 CJN 04/08/2020 06:54AM
  Re: Essential Business? 497 SCarman 04/11/2020 01:26PM
  Re: Essential Business? 503 J L Mazerat 04/14/2020 08:14AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.