Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Fire Classification
Posted by: J L Mazerat (IP Logged)
Date: April 21, 2022 08:52AM

I must agree with you. I am not sure when that was eliminated it was properly though through because if one looks through the document, they will find it is still being recommended.

Let me ask you this, is not the scientific method a process of elimination. Does not one evaluate data and during this evaluation accept and reject the information learned from this process. According to 921 the analysis of the data is based on the knowledge, training, experience, and expertise of the individual doing the analysis. Using this the investigation uses these three areas, the investigator weighs the pros and cons of each piece of data and by using training, experience, and expertise some data is accepted and other rejected. As an example, one need only to look at the section for the analysis of structural damage. Here the document states, “The response of a structural element's protection can also aid in determination of fire severity. If a fire severity is known, it may be possible to use this in the elimination of fire origin or causes.” Is one not using the process of elimination when analyzing the structural damage? In another place the document instructs the user that systematic evaluation (hypothesis testing) is then conducted with the elimination of those hypotheses that are not supportable (or refuted) by the facts discovered through further examination. The document states, “The process of elimination is an integral part of the scientific method. All potential ignition sources present, or believed to be present in the area of origin should be identified and alternative hypotheses should be considered and challenged against the facts. Elimination of a hypothesis by disproving the hypothesis with reliable evidence is a fundamental part of the scientific method.” In this section they warn this process can be used inappropriately. Is that not all that was needed.

I know the purpose of removing this process was directed at incendiary fire, and there may be some good reasoning to support the action when it comes to incendiary fire. I believe warnings and examples as to inappropriately use would have been sufficient.

Jim Mazerat
Forensic Investigations Group

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Fire Classification 437 J L Mazerat 04/17/2022 09:54AM
  Re: Fire Classification 274 Fire 04/20/2022 07:54PM
  Re: Fire Classification 296 J L Mazerat 04/21/2022 08:52AM
  Re: Fire Classification 250 cda 04/21/2022 09:18AM
  Re: Fire Classification 264 J L Mazerat 04/21/2022 10:23AM
  Re: Fire Classification 271 Fire 04/23/2022 09:25PM
  Re: Fire Classification 242 dcarpenter 04/26/2022 01:29PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.