Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Art v Science
Posted by: J L Mazerat (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2022 06:02PM

I think the article goes beyond those in medicine that went to some type of university or school for special training. Is everyone practicing medicine required to have the same education and skill level prior to practicing? I do not understand the belief in the stigma that our profession assigns to art. I personally do not see how we can call fire investigation pure science when in fact it depends on individual interpretations and not scientific reproduce facts.

The NFPA states definitions for a document, that is not defined in the document should come from the Marriam-Webster Dictionary. I wonder how many on the committee went to the dictionary to learn the definition of the word before it was removed from the document. The first definition is, “skill acquired by experience, study, or observation.” When applying the scientific method does one not use their experience, study and observation? The second definition is, “an occupation requiring knowledge or skill.” Is fire investigation not a occupation that requires knowledge or skill?

I believe this is what the article is attempting to communicate.

Jim Mazerat
Forensic Investigations Group

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Art v Science 506 J L Mazerat 04/24/2022 08:34PM
  Re: Art v Science 300 John Lentini 04/25/2022 11:13AM
  Re: Art v Science 280 Rsuninv 04/25/2022 12:43PM
  Re: Art v Science 269 J L Mazerat 04/25/2022 06:02PM
  Re: Art v Science 273 dcarpenter 04/26/2022 12:51PM
  Re: Art v Science 278 dcarpenter 04/26/2022 06:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.