Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Storage in Cool Dry area
Posted by: Jim Mazerat (IP Logged)
Date: August 17, 2006 03:21PM

When dealing with investigations where hazardous materials were involved one looks at the MSDS for information about the chemical. Under the Storage and Handling section you see the comment "store in a cool dry area". My question is how do you determine what is cool? I learned through testimony that when it comes to calcium hypochlorite the manufacturer considered it to be a temperature averaging 95ºF. This was not close to the decomposition temperature listed on the MSDS, which was 350ºF. So we are back to the question, is there a standard definition for the storage in a cool dry area?

If anyone has information, I would appreciat the assistance.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Storage in Cool Dry area 1539 Jim Mazerat 08/17/2006 03:21PM
  Re: Storage in Cool Dry area 953 John J. Lentini, CFEI 08/17/2006 05:07PM
  Re: Storage in Cool Dry area 907 Jim Mazerat 08/17/2006 07:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.