Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Fire Investigation +Fire Modelling
Posted by: greggorbett (IP Logged)
Date: September 19, 2006 08:52AM

Good Day, John:
The following is not a complete list, but it will get you started. I have placed the papers or books under individual sections that I believe are the best fit. However, you will find many will cross over into the other sections. I am not endorsing any of the following publications (unless otherwise noted). Therefore, I have provided you an overall list (good and bad):

GENERAL MODELING INFO:
-Walton, W.; Carpenter, D.; Wood, C. (2003). Fire Protection Handbook, 19th edition – Deterministic Computer Fire Models, Chapter 5, Section 3 (co-authored by Douglas Carpenter – frequent poster)

- Walton, W. (2002). SFPE Handbook of Fire Protection Engineering – Chapter 7; Section 3: Zone Computer Fire Models for Enclosures.

-Friedman, Raymond. (1998). Principles of Fire Protection Chemistry and Physics. NFPA, Chapter 13 – Computer Modeling of Fires.

-Janssens, Marc, (2000), An Introduction to Mathematical Fire Modeling, 2nd edition

HISTORY:
-Nelson, Harold. (2002). From Phlogiston to Computational Fluid Dynamics, Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE). Winter 2002, www.sfpe.org

ASTM STANDARDS AND GENERAL USES:
-ASTM E1895 – Standard Guide for Determining Uses and Limitations of Deterministic Fire Models

-ASTM E1355 – Standard Guide for Evaluating the Predictive Capability of Deterministic Fire Models

-Mowrer, Fredrick (2002). The Right Tool for the Job, Society of Fire Protection Engineers (SFPE). Winter 2002, www.sfpe.org

SPECIFICALLY FOR FIRE INVESTIGATION:
-DeHaan, John, (2005). Reliability of Fire Tests & Computer Modeling in Fire Scene Reconstruction – 2 part series. January 2005: Part 1; April 2005: Part 2.

-DeHaan, John, (2002). Kirk’s Fire Investigation, 5th edition. Prentice Hall, New Jersey. Starting on Page 537

-Custer, Richard (2003) Fire Protection Handbook, 19th edition – Fire Loss Investigation, Chapter 1, Section 3…Discusses Computer Fire Modeling under the “Reconstruction and Analysis” Heading starting pg. 3-8.

-Icove, Dave; DeHaan, J. (2004) Forensic Fire Scene Reconstruction. Chapter 6 – Fire Modeling.

-NFPA 921 (2004). Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigations. NFPA. Chapter 17: 17.7.5 Models in Reconstruction; Chapter 20: 20.4 Mathematical Modeling

VERIFICATION AND VALIDATION (V&V):
-Nuclear Regulatory Commission (2006). Verification and Validation of Selected Fire Models for Nuclear Power Plant Applications. Volume 1 and 4. Highly recommend this report!

You may also want to take a look at the DuPont Plaza Hotel Fire Investigation and Engineering Analysis performed by Harold “Bud” Nelson (at the time with NIST). He primarily uses a set of tools known as FIREFORM (abbreviated for “fire formulas”), which was subsequently expanded to include the compartment model Fire Simulator and became a part of FPETool and later a part of CFAST (until v.6). Even though the analysis of this investigation was performed using simple hand equations, I recommend this report because (to me) it was the birth of modern computer fire modeling for use in estimating the behavior of fire and the reconstruction of a fire scenario. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Gregory E. Gorbett, CFEI, CFPS, MIFireE, IAAI-CFI

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Fire Investigation +Fire Modelling 1814 John Gow RFP 09/18/2006 11:32AM
  Re: Fire Investigation +Fire Modelling 1110 John J. Lentini, CFEI 09/18/2006 12:46PM
  Re: Fire Investigation +Fire Modelling 1078 jgmcfps 09/18/2006 01:36PM
  Re: Fire Investigation +Fire Modelling 1024 Mike H. 09/18/2006 09:07PM
  Re: Fire Investigation +Fire Modelling 1011 jgmcfps 09/19/2006 07:02AM
  Re: Fire Investigation +Fire Modelling 980 John J. Lentini, CFEI 09/19/2006 08:32PM
  Re: Fire Investigation +Fire Modelling 975 dougross 09/23/2006 03:09PM
  Re: Fire Investigation +Fire Modelling 1095 greggorbett 09/19/2006 08:52AM
  Re: Fire Investigation +Fire Modelling 1022 Tony La Palio 09/19/2006 11:16AM
  Re: Fire Investigation +Fire Modelling 994 John Gow RFP 09/21/2006 07:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.