Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: amazing
Posted by: SJAvato (IP Logged)
Date: November 02, 2006 09:18AM

I didn't want to cause a firestorm (we've got enough of those going on right now) - but I think if investigators (public or private) are honest, many have seen first hand or heard of this occurring. It is not, I believe, a malicious act, but one born of ignorance. It is hard for some to understand that, even with all of our training and the advances in fire science, some causes cannot be determined. I have said before that there is a sort of paradox that occurs; the more training you have the more diligent you need to become in order to make a proper call - and the harder it is to do so. If all you knew was electrical causes and arson; anything not electrical is an arson. However, when you populate an entire arena of causes (what I've called the "cause zoo" - stealing from quantum physics), you need to eliminate those before coming to a sound, supported conclusion. That's a little harder than choosing between two options.
Again, I can see where some would use this "revelation" to suit their agenda, perhaps arguing that an investigator was "pressured" into making a call when the "real" cause should have been undetermined (from anecdotal evidence - I know this to have happened already), but it happens (or, perhaps more correctly - happened - hopefully as a now historical phenomenon.) This business is very heavily dependent on expert opinions made by human beings. Opinions, like human beings, will always be susceptible to biases (intentional or unintentional). We need to be mindful of this and protect against intentional bias creeping into origin and cause determinations.

Also, for the record, although I am flattered, I will not accept my party's nomination for "top public" anything and if elected I will not serve. (That part of the post is going to cost me a lot of consumable beverages and result in no small amount of "good natured" harassment!)

Steve

Subject Views Written By Posted
  amazing 1563 MIJ 11/01/2006 09:55PM
  Re: amazing 929 Jerrett Love IAAI-CFI 11/01/2006 10:21PM
  Re: amazing 917 MIJ 11/01/2006 10:43PM
  Re: amazing 1013 JLPFL14 11/01/2006 11:33PM
  Re: amazing 892 MIJ 11/01/2006 11:42PM
  Re: amazing 995 SJAvato 11/02/2006 09:18AM
  Re: amazing 921 MIJ 11/02/2006 11:22AM
  Re: amazing 927 SJAvato 11/02/2006 01:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.