Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: amazing
Posted by: SJAvato (IP Logged)
Date: November 02, 2006 01:15PM

First of all, I don't accept the premise that lazy private investigators are that way because they used to be lazy public investigators. There can be lazy private investigators who were never public investigators. In fact, there can be bad fire "experts" who were never investigators of any sort. People (private, public, former public, etc.) allow bias to creep into their opinions when they do not critically evaluate themselves. For example, ask "Am I making a decision based on saving my company money? (private sector), "Am I calling this an arson to 'make' a big case ? (public sector) "Am I trying to build a reputation based on getting a 'guilty' person off? Or an 'innocent' person convicted?" (pick a side.) These are very difficult questions for a person to answer honestly. Silly, naive me; I still believe that most investigators have good intentions. If they did not believe a person guilty, they wouldn't charge them. If there wasn't "good faith" they wouldn't deny the claim. But some people have been absolutely certain and absolutely wrong. Again, 921 will not solve all of these problems because the interpretation of the data is what is key in a fire investigation. While 921 provides excellent guidance for interpreting some data, it doesn't provide all of the answers for all scenes (or even any specific scene for that matter.)

I don't think it is fair to generalize with regard to any group. Not all public investigators are bad or lazy. The same holds true for private sector investigators. Each has a role to play and we will all get along better when we empathize a little and recognize the role that the other side plays. I don't agree with everything that everyone posts on this site, but I recognize that everyone approaches the problem from their experiences and provides a perspective that perhaps I don't have. That can only make me better (or bitter?)

Steve

Subject Views Written By Posted
  amazing 1562 MIJ 11/01/2006 09:55PM
  Re: amazing 928 Jerrett Love IAAI-CFI 11/01/2006 10:21PM
  Re: amazing 916 MIJ 11/01/2006 10:43PM
  Re: amazing 1012 JLPFL14 11/01/2006 11:33PM
  Re: amazing 891 MIJ 11/01/2006 11:42PM
  Re: amazing 995 SJAvato 11/02/2006 09:18AM
  Re: amazing 920 MIJ 11/02/2006 11:22AM
  Re: amazing 926 SJAvato 11/02/2006 01:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.