Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Lighting
Posted by: jcolfm19 (IP Logged)
Date: July 21, 2007 08:50AM

The fire that I am working which I believe to be caused by lighting is to a church. It appears that lighting entered the structure from a buried iron LP gas line no longer in use and arced across from where it was terminated to a newer flex line, puncturing the flex line and igniting the LP. The damage to the structure was limited to the in the crawl space area and some melting to the carpet around a HVAC floor vent inside the structure.

The reduced pressure of the LP having been past the second regulator and the distance between the flame source and the combustible materials of the floor joist and sub-flooring allow for the fire to go undetected until smoke was discovered inside the sanctuary. Another 5 - 10 minutes later, it would have been a different story.

There are several high voltage electrical lines that run in front of the structure. A check of the local electric provider indicates lighting activity on the their power distribution system including the circuit providing power to the church approximately 1 hour prior to the discovery of the fire.

The closest power pole to the structure has two anchor lines attached and there are large trees between the structure and power line. Neither is showing visual indicators of a direct lighting strike.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Lighting 1641 jcolfm19 07/20/2007 06:57PM
  Re: Lighting 928 MIKE 07/20/2007 07:21PM
  Re: Lighting 925 Nick Markowitz 07/21/2007 06:58AM
  Re: Lighting 926 jcolfm19 07/21/2007 08:50AM
  Re: Lighting 929 jgmcfps 07/22/2007 05:18PM
  Re: Lighting 914 ForensicEEnMD 07/23/2007 06:21AM
  One of My Lightning Stories 882 Mike Learmonth 07/23/2007 07:41PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.