Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Floor exposure from mattress fire
Posted by: Gerald Hurst (IP Logged)
Date: March 25, 2009 01:26PM

A mattress suspended above a floor can create a so-called "slot fire" in which mutual radiation between the two surfaces and trapped smok radiation create rapid and severe damage to both surfaces. The term "slot fire" was coined by Dr. Larry Cranberg, a nuclear physicist who invented the "Texas Fire Frame," a cast-iron fire place rack designed to hold logs in two horizontal layers. The effect of the open slot in this assembly is to effectuate ignition by a single sheet of newspaper and then promote burning nd increased radiation into the room.

Even a non-combustible cover suspended above a fuel load can increase the burning rate by dynamically traping hot smoke which radiates downward.

The classic example of a mattress creating the illusion of the use of an accelerant is in the 1973 John Knapp case which became the subject of the book "Triple Jeopardy" by Roger Parloff. In this case, a child pulled one end of his mattress off the bed and started a fire under the (slanted) mattress.

Mr. Knapp spent many years on death row despite the work of an engineer who demonstrated the mutual radiation effect experimentally. The Parloff book is recommended reading for any fire investigator.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Floor exposure from mattress fire 1374 thagglund 03/25/2009 12:18PM
  Re: Floor exposure from mattress fire 1200 Gerald Hurst 03/25/2009 01:26PM
  Re: Floor exposure from mattress fire 894 PMK140 03/25/2009 04:18PM
  Death of my 6yr old from mattress fire 817 Emosike 04/03/2009 04:49PM
  Re: Death of my 6yr old from mattress fire 786 Fire 04/05/2009 09:40PM
  Re: Death of my 6yr old from mattress fire 750 Sir Gary 04/09/2009 02:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.