Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: Firesetting Firemen and ZZ Top?
Posted by: dahebert (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2007 01:16PM

Doug, I am not sure if I was looking for anything. I just always find the responses interesting when I present this block of instruction. Having an actual convicted arsonist/firefighter made the presentation more interesting. The fact is, he's a pretty good kid who got caught up in a dangerous game in the firehouse. We made a conscious decision to arrest only those who actively participated in setting fires and not deal with those who knew what was going on and chose to say/do nothing... The mentality was yeah, but they are good firefighters......No, they are criminals.

Anyway, I use:

ATF/CFI Chris Forkner's research paper on the topic.

Deputy Fire Chief Thomas W. Aurnhammer, Los Pinos Fire District, Ignacio Colorado

Geographic Profiler, Rhonda Trahern, ATF
South Carolina Forrestry Research, by Ken Cabe
found on-line at [www.state.sc.us]

Firefighter Arson, a National Volunteer Fire Council Special Report
[www.nvfc.org]

Fire-setting Fire Fighters: Arsonists in the Fire Department - Identification and Prevention by FBI Profiler Tim Huff

Kevin Kelm, ATF profiler

USFA Special Report:Firefighter Arson
[www.usfa.dhs.gov]

As you can see Doug, several of these sources has links that you can go to. I reccomend them all, but especially the USFA report. Mainly because just about all of the other info is contained somewhere in this report.

Remember, if I quote my sources it is research and not plagerism.smiling smiley

Anyway, to further answer your post.

One firefighter was found not guilty on a retrial after the first trial was hung 11-1 for a conviction. That one still bothers me 15 years later because a fireman suffered permenant brain damage in the fire. The jury threw out a confession because he had been drinking at the time he set the fire and you can't believe what a drunk says (of course he was drunk when he set the fires, not when he confessed). He lives up near Clinton or Clifton, NJ now and had been arrested before for arson, but the judge ruled it was prejudicial and was a matter for sentencing so did not allow the info into the trial.

In the big case down here 12 firemen were initially arrested. Two were not prosecuted for lack of evidence, one was a juvenile and not prosecuted and the other 9 pled guilty.

Worked a volunteer fireman in Mississippi that burned down a church. Eventually confessed and got 20 years. Interesting the side notes surrounding this case. The judge in the case was Bobby DeLaughter who was the DA that prosecuted the killer of Civil Rights Leader Medgar Evars. DeLaughter's character was played by Alec Baldwin in the movie about the trial called Ghosts of Mississippi.

The Hinds county courthouse where the arson case was tried was built in 1857 and legend has it in the Civil War during Sherman's march to the sea, as he ordered buildings fields animals and everything in the path of the union army burned and destroyed, he specifically ordered that the courthouse be left untouched due to its tremendous beauty and architecture. Also, the placard on the wall claims one of the earliest attempts at a fire supression system. Sand was placed in the floor between the first and second floors and above the ceiling. The theory was that if a fire broke out it would burn a hole in the ceiling and release tons of sand that would smother the fire. Probably wouldn't work, but pretty innovative/forward thinking for 1857. thumbs down

Now I forgot what I was talking about.....Oh yes, everyone else was convicted and most confessed.

Dan
Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your posting seemed to be more of an advance
> notice of your presentation. It certainly sounds
> interesting, but I am not sure what you were
> looking for in terms of comments.
>
> Since you asked... and I have had opinions from
> time to time...
>
> Do we have to change something that is an
> acknowledged guess on your part? smiling smiley Does your
> presentation and experience show that this is a
> prevalent attitude in the fire service? Certainly,
> if it is, then it should not be tolerated. Is a
> paper, based on your presentation available for
> those who can not attend your presentation?
>
> You used the word "arrested" many times in your
> postings. What was the final outcome of these
> arrests? Confessions? Convictions?
>
> Sounds like an interesting talk. Sorry I will not
> be able to attend. I do enjoy a good concert.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  Firesetting Firemen and ZZ Top? 2360 dahebert 02/09/2007 02:42PM
  Re: Firesetting Firemen and ZZ Top? 1018 dahebert 02/13/2007 11:09AM
  Re: Firesetting Firemen and ZZ Top? 985 dcarpenter 02/13/2007 11:48AM
  Re: Firesetting Firemen and ZZ Top? 1232 dahebert 02/13/2007 01:16PM
  Re: Firesetting Firemen and ZZ Top? 995 jcolfm19 02/13/2007 03:41PM
  Re: Firesetting Firemen and ZZ Top? 988 Ted Pagels 02/13/2007 03:41PM
  Re: Firesetting Firemen and ZZ Top? 988 dahebert 02/13/2007 04:57PM
  Re: Firesetting Firemen and ZZ Top? 992 Jim Mazerat 02/16/2007 10:12AM
  Re: Firesetting Firemen and ZZ Top? 928 dahebert 02/16/2007 12:08PM
  Re: Firesetting Firemen and ZZ Top? 976 dahebert 03/09/2007 09:45AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.