Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: New CFITrainer.net module
Posted by: J L Mazerat (IP Logged)
Date: July 20, 2022 06:13PM

Should the judges follow the law for the state or some professional organization rules? NAFI is the only one I know of that actually adopted 921 as a standard for their organization. I know the IAAI supports the use of 921 and 1033 but I missed where they adopted as a standard for their organization. As to me belonging to an organization, me belonging in no way means I agree with everything that comes from that organization. I have not problem with these organizations embracing these documents.

I know what the ProBoard states but come on, do you believe all of the IAAI-CFI’s meet all the requirements of NFPA 1033.

You are correct, it is the judge’s job to make the determination as to your methodology and qualifications. I have no problem with the judge preforming that task. What I can say is that I have personally experience where the judge got it wrong. I see it all the time where the court of appeals reverses the lower court decision not to allow a person to testify based on the same facts. Maybe the judge did not like the fact that one side was not trying to settle the case so by excluding that sides expert he got the case to settle. Who knows the judge’s true reason.

And if you cannot tell me the difference between a fire alarm system and a life safety notification system, based on what you say they should not be allowed to testify. The person is not meeting the requirements of 1033. Maybe you know the difference, but most would not. Give you a hint. They both have pull stations, a panel, and a horn.

I saw a judge say low-temperature long-term ignition was not a supportable thereby he refused to let the witness testify. Was that judge correct?

Jim Mazerat
Forensic Investigations Group

Subject Views Written By Posted
  New CFITrainer.net module 472 John Lentini 07/14/2022 12:08PM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 281 Fire 07/15/2022 07:24PM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 245 J L Mazerat 07/18/2022 08:38AM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 269 John Lentini 07/19/2022 04:58PM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 192 J L Mazerat 07/20/2022 08:49AM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 243 John Lentini 07/20/2022 02:03PM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 250 J L Mazerat 07/20/2022 06:13PM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 227 John Lentini 07/21/2022 11:06AM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 233 J L Mazerat 07/21/2022 04:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.