Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: New CFITrainer.net module
Posted by: J L Mazerat (IP Logged)
Date: July 21, 2022 04:08PM

This case may be a manslaughter case. The investigator states the alarm system was not properly maintained. The investigator writes in his report that there was a delay in notification of the occupants due to what he perceives is a fire alarm system did not timely activate. Are you say if a person did not know the difference from a fire alarm system and a life safety notification system the judge is still going to let him testify?

Are you saying, if the fire has nothing to do with any electrical system the judge is still going to exclude him because he does not know the definition of watt.

I never get put into the corner with an absolute statement when speaking about 921 or 1033. The is a got you question that you cannot recover from.

There was a judge that prevented an expert from testifying about low-temperature long-term heating. The judge believed there was insufficient evidence to support the idea. Two other courts found the opposite with the same expert testifying. Two three judge panels in the court of appeal agreed with the expert’s position on the subject. Independent testing by a third unconnected party later supported the expert’s opinion. In that one case, who got it wrong, the judge or the expert? Yes, judges have the right, but it does not mean their decision was correct.

See, you are assuming. I was not speaking about the low-temperature ignition that was addressed in the Truck Insurance Exchange v Magnetek from Colorado. The cases I was addressing were in Louisiana. One of the courts that ruled in favor of this concept was the U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit. The second was the Court of Appeals of Louisiana, 3rd Circuit. The paper I am referring to is the Low Temperature Ignition of Wood.

What may be just as bad as the spalding and shiny alligatoring is the investigator that develops a timeline as to when the fire could have started and the testifies a person set the fire when that person was not in the build in the beginning of the timeline. What I am saying even persons that one would consider highly qualified and meet all your requirements as to 1033 can still come off the wall to help in a conviction.

Jim Mazerat
Forensic Investigations Group

Subject Views Written By Posted
  New CFITrainer.net module 471 John Lentini 07/14/2022 12:08PM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 280 Fire 07/15/2022 07:24PM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 244 J L Mazerat 07/18/2022 08:38AM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 269 John Lentini 07/19/2022 04:58PM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 192 J L Mazerat 07/20/2022 08:49AM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 242 John Lentini 07/20/2022 02:03PM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 250 J L Mazerat 07/20/2022 06:13PM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 226 John Lentini 07/21/2022 11:06AM
  Re: New CFITrainer.net module 232 J L Mazerat 07/21/2022 04:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.