Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: home a/c flex duct
Posted by: Nick Markowitz (IP Logged)
Date: October 25, 2006 05:48PM

I have installed several hundred feet of this product over the years and though it is flame
retardant it is not flame proof. Personelly I prefer metal but it is not always practical or cost effective
and since fire dampering requirments in a residence are just about non existant I could see the above scenario happening.
I have a customer who is in process of having a town home built and they ran a 24" piece of this flex duct from his furnace room to the attic to supply air and after numerous code reviews there is no code requiring a damper to stop a fire from going up it.to the attic as he is worried about so out of his own pocket he installing one as a precaution.

I have often wondered how many residential fires could have had there damages limited by effective use of thermal accuated dampers but it apears the construction industry has no intrest in it due to costs. It is hard enough getting them to use it in commercail structures as it is.

Subject Views Written By Posted
  home a/c flex duct 1636 cda 10/25/2006 08:13AM
  Re: home a/c flex duct 955 Nick Markowitz 10/25/2006 05:48PM
  Re: home a/c flex duct 906 Tony La Palio 10/26/2006 02:03PM
  Re: home a/c flex duct 860 cda 10/26/2006 02:42PM
  Re: home a/c flex duct - FYI 885 Anthony Tester 10/28/2006 02:21PM
  Re: home a/c flex duct 927 Anthony Tester 10/26/2006 02:28PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.