Fire/Arson Investigations :  Fire/Arson Investigations The fastest message board... ever.
A place to ask questions and add to probative and informative discussions associated with the various aspects of the field of fire investigation. -- FORUM RULES---BE CIVIL AND NO NAME CALLING, NO BELITTLING, NO BERATING, NO DENIGRATING others. Postings in violation of these rules can be removed or editted to remove the offending remarks at the discretion of the moderators and/or site administrator. 
Re: home a/c flex duct - FYI
Posted by: Anthony Tester (IP Logged)
Date: October 28, 2006 02:21PM

Although it was not a home a/c duct, I did have a fire yesterday in a large ducting system in a very large commercial vehicle repair facility. There are several rubberized type flexible ducts (one located aay each vehicle lift) that connects into the vehicles exhaust pipe that attaches to a large metal duct at ceiling level. I have had a few of these where there are baffles within the metal duct where combustible debris will collect. This is primarily due to the failure or absence of a metal mesh screen used to prevent the debris from getting pulled into the ductwork. The fires I have seen usually never occur within the flexible duct itself but usually where the first restriction is (within the metal duct at ceiling level). I have also found that routine "cleaning" by an outside source is not always perfomed adequately. Large amounts of debris have been found right after the duct work was "cleaned". Just an FYI.

Anthony Tester

Subject Views Written By Posted
  home a/c flex duct 1636 cda 10/25/2006 08:13AM
  Re: home a/c flex duct 955 Nick Markowitz 10/25/2006 05:48PM
  Re: home a/c flex duct 906 Tony La Palio 10/26/2006 02:03PM
  Re: home a/c flex duct 860 cda 10/26/2006 02:42PM
  Re: home a/c flex duct - FYI 884 Anthony Tester 10/28/2006 02:21PM
  Re: home a/c flex duct 926 Anthony Tester 10/26/2006 02:28PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.